Saturday, June 6, 2009

10 Years Later...

So June 4th head honcho and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary. Holy cow...10 years makes me feel really old but then again when you get married at 18 and you celebrate 10 years at 28 you're not really that old. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Anyhow I'm gonna start off by saying this next post is for my posterity. I'm not a "mushy" type of person and it irritates the living heck out of me when I read posts about someones perfect life or perfect husband so I'm totally not trying to come across as painting the "perfect" picture but our 10 year celebration was really awesome and I want to write it down for the memories. So, if you don't want the details this is where you can stop reading.

The day started off with the kindest card head hocho has ever given me, I will keep the card in my special stack with all the rest of them. He worked most the day and when he got home he brought with him a dozen red roses that are absolutely exquisite. Roses around here are a very special treat and I never take them for granted. They are the highlight of the dining room at the moment and I savor the smell. (I did take a picture and will post that soon) Anyhow...I had extra kids most the day so it was pretty hectic but I did manage to squeeze in a shower, wash my hair, shave, blow dry the hair and triple barrel curl the hair, plus put on a full face of make-up...all that stuff doesn't happen too often on the same day. Anyhow by 5:30 we were headed out to drop of the boys and the nephew at the sisters house for the night. I didn't know where we were going at this point, you see I made an agreement (Brandon likes to call it a mandate) 9 years ago...I said "I planned the wedding, you're in charge of the anniversaries from here on out. It works great each year. Anyhow we ended up at Streets of New York. Romantic? Yes. Why you might ask? This is where our first date was...it holds a special place in our hearts. We're outta luck if they ever go out of business... I was prepared with the conversation for the evening. I was inspired by her who was inspired by him to ask head honcho 20 questions about our lives at the moment. (I'll list the questions/answers later in this post) It was a really fun dinner. Then we headed home because spouse said he got a movie for the night but wouldn't tell me what it was. Any how when we got home he made dessert...pizzookies (the pizza cookie) just like the ones from this place that we love. We then proceeded to the couch where he brought out the movie for the night...our wedding video. Yes, the video from our wedding that I thought I would never see. You see a long time ago when we planned our wedding we were on a very, very tight budget. So my most wonderful brother-in-law volunteered to create a wedding video for us for free. (That was the first time in my life I learned the lesson..."you get what you pay for"...remember this was for free) Well I remember seeing him walking around the Temple, walking around our luncheon and walking around our reception always having the trusty video camera in his hands. Well, shortly after we were married he "said" he was going to edit it, put it to music and make it as professional as possible...that was the last I heard of that. Think about it...that was prior to Y2K. Honestly, over the years I had lost hope. I forgave and forgot. And I knew I was going to be OK. When Brandon pulled out the DVD I was shocked. Shocked. Shocked. He knew he had scored with this gift. Thanks to my brother-in-laws organization skills he knew where the original copy of the video tape was. Brandon picked it up the night before our anniversary (how about that planning...thought about it the day before, not bad head man) took the tape (because we no longer own a VCR) to this place and within a few hours they were able to make that tape in to a trusty DVD for our viewing pleasure that night. It really was the best anniversary ever because every part of that night was sentimental. An anniversary I wish to never forget. Not to mention the video is hilarious...no music ever got added so you hear every body's conversations, comments, jokes, zit popping stories and so on. Oh, and the hair, oh my, let us all be thankful that the 90's hair styles are no longer in style...it is funny. Big guy, it really was an awesome night.

Ok back to the dinner conversation... again, this is for posterity so feel free to stop reading.

Question 1. What is your greatest hope or dream?

He said: Live a fulfilling life and watch my children grow up and be happy
She said: Allow my children to find success in whatever they choose and especially find success in their testimonies of the gospel

2. What do you enjoy the most about your life right now?
Him: "The love and harmony in my family, I'm not at odds with my spouse or with rebellious children"
Her: "The blessing of health and happiness in our own family"

3. What do you enjoy the least about your life right now?
Him: "The work hours and the stress from the business"
Her: " The amount of hours you work and the stress that you carry from long hours"

4. What would your dream job be if you could do anything and get paid for it?
Him: "Hummm...be a fighter pilot. Not cause I want to kill anybody I would just love to fly those machines. Or play on the PGA tour." She said "golfing, really" He said: "heck ya, play golf all day and make phat cash doing it? Who wouldn't want to?"
Her: "I don't know, maybe be a surf instructor, live right next to the beach and help people to have a passion for surfing...be an attorney and defend the things I feel passionate about. Become a special ed teacher. Be a full-time stay at home mom and get paid for it." He said: "If it'll make you feel better I can start writing you a check every month from the business instead of writing myself one...I'll just put on the bottom...for "motherly services rendered." That's when I said "will it be my own money I don't have to share?" He said "No, it'll have to go in the personal account just like it does now for all the personal expenses." I said..."don't bother, it's all good." I think this is a question I'm still figuring out...

5. What are some things you've always wanted to do but haven't had the opportunity yet?
He said: His first answer made me burst out in laughter: "Become a Brigadier General level three" It's a high level on xbox if I remember right...the seriously he said: "Get my pilot's license" (I knew this would be his answer) "I haven't aspired to do anything else I haven't done...My major goal was to be a business owner by the time I was 30 and that happened...I guess it's time to set new aspirations.
She said: "There are a lot of places I would like to travel to and see and finish my education...as soon as I figure out what I want to be."

6. What three things would you like to do before the next year passes?
He said: "Spend more quality time with my kids, get the business more in order, develop more Christlike attributes such as charity."
She said: "Do more creative stuff with the kids, create new recipes and really come to understand the scriptures"

7. Who do you feel the most safe being with? Why?
He said: "You" Because you're you
She said: "You too...because you always accept me and never judge me...you always encourage me to do what ever it is I want to pursue you never put limits on me or tell me I can't or no.

8. If you could have lunch with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
He said: " Joseph Smith, because he's awesome"
She said: "Abraham Lincoln, I would like to know how he always stood up for what was right. How he was so honest, how he still had determination after failing, if he were in charge today what he would do different for America, is this country what he envisioned and who inspired him the most to become what he became after people told him it was impossible"

9. When was the last time you felt filled with joy?
He said: "When we were at the Temple together a few weeks ago"
She said: "I think it's safe to say I able to feel joy in small moments each day. I'm really thankful for that."

10. If you had to give away a million dollars who would you give it to?
He said: "Organizations within the church like the P.E.F. or missionary fund. Anything the church is affiliated with because I know it would be put to good use"
She said: "That's a good one...I think I would spend it to help nieces and nephews serve missions and finish college with no student loans...I think that would be a good step towards a stable future"

11. What are three things that I do that you really like?
He said: "uh-oh, I think I know the next question and I don't want to answer it...but three things that I like are 1. You smile a lot, you set a good example of Christlike behavior and you're very supportive."
She said: You NEVER complain about anything, you know your responsibilities, and you have a sense of humor no one really knows about...you always make me laugh."

12. What are three things that I do that drive you nuts?
He said: "You don't do anything that drives me nuts." That when I gave him some examples and then his wheels started turning...he said: "OK, You're always loosing the small camera (it's lost at the moment) You can't tell people "no" sometimes and you always have to have the house totally clean before we leave on a vacation.
She said: "You don't see messes, you always wrestle with the boys right before bedtime and get them hyped up and you're not an early riser."

13. What have I done in the past that made you feel loved?
He said: "oh-no...I have a bad memory, I'm getting old...ummm, I know, you're always supportive and never complain when work stuff or church calling stuff pops up and changes the plans."
She said: "The flowers today...that was really special."

14. What have I done that made you feel unappreciated?
He said: "Nothing"
She said: "Yeah, nothing"

15. What are three things that I can work on?
He said: "Give me breakfast in bed everyday, and a hug and kiss every hour...just kidding...I can't think of anything."
She said: "I can't really think of anything at the moment, every time I ask you to do something or not do something you follow through."

16. Of the following items what would make you feel the most loved?
-- A body massage, talking about your favorite subject for hours, helping around the house, a nice gift or hearing encouragement about how appreciated you are?
He said: "Totally...a body massage"
She said: "Hearing encouragement, defiantly"

17. What things in the past do you wish could be erased from ever happening?
He said and she said the same thing..."Nothing really, hopefully we've learned lessons from past mistakes."

18. What is the next major decision that you think the Lord would want us to make as a couple?
Again he said and she said the same thing: "How long do we stay in Laveen?"

19. What would you like your life to look like five years from now?
He said: "Stress free, comfortable in my work environment."
She said: " Less hours working, more small get-a-ways, or big vacations...either one works for me."

20. What words would you like to hear from me more often?
(On a side note, This one we had a lot of laughter with...we were both cracking up...due to the "PG" rating of this blog some of the answers cannot be written...)
He said: "No, I don't mind if you play xbox," "Honey let me rub your feet" "How 'bout that full body massage"
She said: "Oh...the dishes are already done", "I folded the laundry while you were gone", "Look I got a chick flick for the night and I thought we could watch it together","I'm taking the day off today", "No I don't have to work this Saturday", "How 'bout a quick trip to the beach for a few days"!

All-in-all there was lots of laughter and tears of happiness. It was a really awesome dinner and we kept giving more and more answers all the way home. I've always felt blessed to say if there is only one thing I can call "stable" in my life it would have to be my relationship with him. And for that I am eternally grateful.

9 comments:

Erin said...

Happy Anniversary...you guys are cute and that was a fun date idea!

Ashlee said...

Congratulations! I have a great idea...I think you should come visit and get some beach time in! You could drive over with the boys, and if Brandon wanted to - he come fly in later! :) Tickets can be cheap between San Diego and Phx. and the drive is only about 6.5 hours. Please come and stay with us! :)

Savannah said...

You guys are absolutely adorable!!! I'm glad you guys had a good and memorable anniversary! I love the idea to ask questions like that :)

---You gotta tell Brandon that the video thing was priceless! :) What a sweet idea!

---I also like that your next question to ponder is staying in Laveen??.....Hopefully if your answer is no, you'd be considering moving out east---and NOT further west, so that we could get together more often than when we see eachother at funerals :( We always have such a good time with you guys!!!! And I always leave with my stomach in pain from laughing so much!

I'm glad you guys are doing well! Happy 10 year Anniversary!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love love the post... thanks for sharing. I know just how much you love and respect each other. Happy 10 years to one of my favorite couples!! I love you both!!!

Anonymous said...

I almost forgot... Doesn't it feel euphoric knowing you picked the right man to spend eternity with?!?!

Brandon said...

Ok I had no idea Jackie Lee was going to be posting this for the world to see. Therefore, I reserve the right to full and complete deniability of anything embarrassing contained herein.

Katie said...

That is a really sweet post. Happy Anniversary!

Alyssa and Nate said...

i feel i have gotten to know you and my brother so much more from reading your answers. cute idea, we'll have to steal it in a few years! happy anniversary

April said...

What a great blog. I loved the question/answer part. Thank you so much for sharing. I loved reading it all. What an awesome couple you are. I am very grateful that you have each other.