Monday, November 16, 2009

For those that nurse or are going to...

So much to blog about so little time...three kids is defiantly a little different than two.

But I must write this before I forget. If you're a nursing mom, a going to be nursing mom or know one, read on.

So, a wonderful sister of mine told me about a cure for mastitis (you know the horrible infection that can sometimes accompany the natural breast augmentation after one delivers a bundle of joy) she learned it from her midwife and when she first told me I have to admit I was kind of skeptical but put the information in the back of my mind for possible later use and the next trip to the grocery store included purchasing a brown russet potato.

So about a week ago I realized I was starting to feel sick and as the day progressed my sickness became worse and was accompanied by a very painful feeling, almost like a burning feeling in one of the utters. Uh oh...I knew what this meant. It was on a Saturday so no going to the doctor and our blessed insurance doesn't cover doctor visits or prescriptions so I didn't want to fork out 200+ Benjamin's. That's when my brain reminded me of the bit of info told by that intelligent sister. When the feeling of mastitis starts to come on cut a russet potato and put the inside of the potato on the sore breast and the potato will draw out the infection. To make a long story even longer...I had spouse wrap an ace bandage around me with a potato on the inside next to the sore ca-who-na. The look on his face was priceless but I woke up Sunday morning with nothing...NO PAIN AT ALL and I felt great!!!!! You can literally feel the potato drawing out the infection, it's almost painful but worth it. This cure cost me a whole 34 cents and no antibiotics went into the body or the baby's milk. It seriously worked and I would highly recommend it.

Maybe later I'll write about the garlic I placed on my children's feet last night and they woke up today feeling a whole lot better.

Kudos to natural remedies.

4 comments:

Lani said...

Awesome! I'll have to remember that one!

I wrote a blogpost about treating mastitis on my birth blog if you want to check out some other tips. (But it's nothing as cool as a potato!) http://birthfaith.blogspot.com/2007/12/treating-mastitis.html

And I've done the garlic on my kids' feet before too. :-)

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Yes, you must tell about the garlic! That is WAY cool about the potato, thanks for sharing:-)

Misty Holt said...

What were you doing the garlic for?

AMY said...

I love natural remedies! I'm sure there are many women who would love to know that one. Thanks for sharing!