This year Valentine's Day went something like this...
Buster and I painted blocks a few days before so we could have a center piece for the table. (Which, come Valentine's night I forgot to put them on the table. Go figure.)
Then Valentine's Day morning I prepared the dessert everyone likes. Well, except Boss, he really doesn't care for any dessert. Not sure yet where he got those genes from. I made a homemade Oreo ice cream cake.
The table got set, nothing to fancy but each member of the family did get a little love note on their plates prior to dinner being served.
Then the rest of the night may or may not have gone something like this...
Pops calls and says he'll be home at 6pm.
I start dinner at 5pm knowing it'll all be ready to come together at 6pm cause that's when Pops said he'll be home.
Child #1, 2 and 3 all have a melt down at 5:15pm.
5:18pm I look everyone out side and kindly tell them to use their imagination until further notice. I may or may not have said; "DO NOT ASK TO COME IN UNTIL PERMISSION IS GRANTED." Of course I said it so kindly since it is the day of love.
I cut up the potatoes and slice my finger at 5:19pm. I may or may not have said choice words.
5:25pm I head out side and fire up the grill while telling the sweet children to continue playing and that no, permission has not been granted to enter the home.
5:35pm Rosemary rolls are put in the oven.
5:40pm Steaks (good ones that I rarely buy)are placed on the grill.
6pm I pull rolls and potatoes out of the oven.
6:02pm the asparagus is done and turned out perfect.
6:05pm I hear screaming as I'm cleaning up the mess I've been making the last hour. I may or may not have ignored it.
6:06pm I realized the word "fire" is being yelled while screaming.
6:07pm I check the clock and notice that Pops is late. It's the day of love so I don't get ruffled. Meanwhile I calmly walk outside to see what all the ruckus is. And there I see flames. Large streams of red and orange blazing over my precious and expensive slabs of fresh beef. Quickly I pull the steaks from the burning grill and while doing so I may or may not have thrown Crate half-way across the yard so he doesn't get burned, for he was very intrigued by the burning grill.
Once I realize my steaks, that would have been cooked to perfection, are burnt to a crisp, I may or may not have stood at the grill and shed tears.
6:20pm I come inside and make sure all the other food is wrapped so tightly in foil as to avoid any of it cooling while we patiently wait for Pops. By this point I'm sure he's late because he was swinging by to pick up the beautiful roses I was sure he was bringing home for his Valentine.
6:45pm Almost all of us are washed up and ready to eat. We were just missing one person.
6:55pm Still sitting at the table patiently waiting for someone.
7:02pm Finally, the door opens and the guest of honor arrives.
7:05pm Pops looks at the steaks and says we can salvage them. I may or may not have agreed.
7:08pm We read the letters each family member made for each other and everyone feels loved and is happy.
7:10pm We bless the food and dig in. It may or may not have been cold.
7:30pm It's time for dessert and now all is well.
Even though the night didn't go as planned I really was thankful to be sitting next to the people I cherish. They love me and I love them and we are happy. That's what it's all about. Although, once it came time for dishes I realized why people might choose do go out and have a night off of the typical cooking and cleaning. Maybe next year we'll rethink our plans.
2 comments:
Sounds like the perfect Valentine(almost).
Oh Jackie Lee you are so funny! It sounds like your V-day was as good as mine. :) Hope you had a great time last night, you guys deserve it!
Post a Comment