the good thing that has come to an end for me is the Young Women's program. It's been just shy of three years I've had the privilege of serving as the YW's president. But today I was released. I knew it would come to and end. I found out this morning and am excited for the girls to have new blood and enjoy changes that will come with a new presidency.
I can honestly say I never wanted to be president. It's been a good ride and I have gotten to know some really amazing girls who are faced with more challenges at their tender age than I ever faced, but I am happy to pass the title on to someone else.
I learned a lot being in this calling. I learned that if I expected the girls to listen to wholesome music and watch wholesome movies I must do the same. I learned a lot about modesty. If I expect them to dress modestly I must do the same. I learned that being modest just doesn't mean wearing clothes that cover the body properly but it means wearing clothes that aren't too tight or too revealing in other ways. I learned that if I taught them about preparing now for an eternal marriage and live up to the covenants they make I must do the same...always be preparing to be a better wife, better mother and always keep the covenants that I have made previously.
I hope I will remember to be a supportive parent when my sons are in YM's and help him to respect and admire his leaders.
I can't say enough good about my counselors. I had two sets since I served in the previous ward also before it was split. My presidency was awesome. Supportive, kind and and generous. Those ladies were the brains behind the operation. I will be forever grateful for their service they rendered over the past few years.
I think my boys will miss having the youth come over to our house every Wednesday night. Is it bad to say I won't miss making sure the house is picked up and ready for the young women to come invade it? :) I'm sure my family will start enjoying dinner on Wednesday nights again...we seemed to have tacos or pancakes on Wednesday night since I needed something that was quick and easy clean up. I am thankful for the opportunity my boys had to witness the youth and the way the youth programs in the church worked. I know they are excited to start YM's one day.
I'm excited for a new calling and a new place to serve. I hope that someway, somehow I made a difference in each of their lives. Most importantly I hope they will never forgot that they are daughters of their Heavenly Father who loves them. I can't wait to hear were each of their lives will take them. Their potential is greater than they can comprehend. They are choice daughters and are divine spirits.
My family was blessed in ways I didn't even realize over the past three years. I know I was blessed to receive strength when I had nothing left to give. I know inspiration came at times when I least expected it. It was a humbling experience and I'm grateful I had the opportunity to serve.
3 comments:
It will be nice to have a breather! I'm sure you did a great job! Can't wait to see ya!
congrats on a release and good luck with your new behind the scenes calling!
Great thoughts JL. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment