I'm sitting here preparing the lesson for YW's tomorrow. The title is "Temple Marriage" and the objective of the lesson states:
Each young woman will understand that her decision to marry in the temple has eternal consequences.
At first I was thrown off by the word "consequences" at the end of the objective. However after studying the lesson I have been reminded how our eternal happiness depends on the choices we make ever day. It's so much more than just a marriage or a wedding day. I want to share some quotes from this lesson:
“Life is eternal. Death does not terminate the existence of man. He lives on and on. … The greatest joys of true married life can be continued. The most beautiful relationships of parents and children can be made permanent. The holy association of families can be never-ending if husband and wife have been sealed in the holy bonds of eternal matrimony. Their joys and progress will never end” (Spencer W. Kimball, in Conference Report, Oct. 1964, p. 25; or Improvement Era, Dec. 1964, p. 1055).
"...This continuing family unit is one of the greatest blessings God can give to his children."
The lesson also states:
"Emphasize that marrying in the temple is not a guarantee of eternal families and exaltation. Each young woman must strive to keep the Lord’s commandments and all the covenants made in the temple throughout her life." I think it's important for the girls to understand that a Temple marriage does not equal an easy marriage. Each marriage and individual will still be tested and tried. A Temple marriage provides the knowledge that God stands at the front of the marriage and with his help the couple can overcome the trials that are sent their way as long as both are willing to work at it and keep their sacred covenants.
This week while on my morning walk I was listening to the April 2011 General Conference talks. Just yesterday I heard Elder Scott's talk, (go here to view it). I found it so sweet and tender and just a good reminder of what a marriage can be here on earth and in heaven.
This lesson is so, so good. I hope to convey it's importance to the Young Women. Their lives can be forever blessed if they will choose the path now and in the future that will keep them true to their sacred covenants.
It's not easy but with our eye focused on the eternal nature of the plan it brings so much true happiness. Happiness that can't be explained or found any place else. I feel like I can honestly attest to the blessings and greater understanding that a Temple marriage can provide.
No comments:
Post a Comment