I think 2008 is a huge year for ALL Americans. This is a very important voting year. Not that the Presidential campaigns in the past haven't been important, I think depending on who wins the presidential election will determine a lot. "A lot" is a general statement I know, but for me the items on my list that pertain to my family are..
1. The strength of the economy(or lack of strength) The economy directly effects Brandon's paycheck (again, or lack of paycheck :) ). The economy over the next 3-4 years will make or break the typical American worker and the president has some control over it.
2. Health care --- This hits us first had as we are on our own for insurance and it is pricey!
3. The Constitution --- does Washington D.C. respect what was created with the hand of God by our forefathers? Or is it regarded as a "historical writing" but out of date?
4. The right to bear arms...there is talk among some candidates of the need to take this right away. I don't believe this is right.
5. Immigration. -- One day I might expound my thoughts on it.
6. Education. -- Carson starts school in August of this year. This has become an important topic in our home. Which President will have the most impact for good on the education of our children.
7. The War. Again, One day I might expound my thoughts on it.
These are just the beginning of several issues at stake. After reading/learning much about ALL the candidates I am asking for your opinions. Regardless of party affiliation, I would like to learn your thoughts/opinions and possibly choice of the candidates . I hope to make an educated vote and not a popular one.
Thank you for your input.
11 comments:
I have done a lot of research on my own and I favor Huckabee the most followed closely by Obama which is interesting because it's very rare that I prefer the Democratic candidate.
Wanna know my little secret? :)
My least favorite Republican candidate is Romney! I am absolutely terrified that the vote will come down to Clinton vs. Romney!
I could talk for a long time about politics but I usually hesitate because so many people get really wound up :)
Oh--one other thing that stuck out for me in your post was the topic of education. I agree that the candidate's view is important but the older Sam gets the more I believe that education really boils down to the parents and the school district--with emphasis on the parents. Carson will turn out great no matter where you send him :)
Well, Becky and I sure don't agree...I favor Mitt Romney! I could go on and on...but, it's definately something you need to explore and make your best decision.
I think that is so true that Romney says we need to have high standards in education and that education is a parnership between parents and teachers.
Anywho...you're such a great gal! We need to get together soon...I miss ya!
This is a huge topic of conversation at our house as well and I have done a lot of research and have a lot of opinions, too many to type here in your blog (I'll email you!) I must say that I support and respect the Constitution of the United States and believe that it is an inspired document and that the founding fathers were led by the Spirit to create this document (as suggested in Doctrine & Covenants). In alliance with the Constituion, I believe in less "big" government and more state government. There are many issues that the federal government tries to dictate which actually should be states rights. I am looking for a candidate who votes Constitutionally every time and who shows me by his/her vote that they respect that document as much as I do. Through my research of voting records, I have found one candidate who votes Constitutionally 100% of the time and whose campaign, viewpoints, and actions are strictly in adherence to the Constitution. Any guess who it is? I'll let you know!
I am very impressed with the thinking minds of the younger generation. I too have done a lot of research, being much older and wiser (: (joke, on the wiser part), I have definitely made my decision. Having been a school teacher and a pre-school teacher and a homeschool parent, a parent and a grand-parent, Education has gone down the toilet, excuse the epression, especially here in Arizona. I will vote for the candidate who votes constitutioanaly everytime. I am voting for the candidate whose platform is for small government, state rights , right to bear arms, big on the institution of families, marriage ONLY between man and woman, bearing children AFTER marriage, one who has been able to take a deficet and completly turn it around.
My vote is for the one who took a bankrupt olympics and saved their sorry....
Illegal immigration... you don't want to know what I have to say about it.... There is a candiate who will do his upmost best to radicate the illegals in this country and is big on securing the borders.
I am neither ashamed or afraid to say what candidate I am voting for. Mitt Romney
one more comment on illegals....
Everyone concentrates on the problems we're having in this country lately:
Illegal immigration, hurricane recovery, alligators attacking people in
Florida.
Not me. I concentrate on solutions for the problems. It's a win-win
situation:
1. Dig a moat the length of the Mexican border.
2. Send the dirt to New Orleans to raise the level of the levies.
3. Put the Florida alligators in the moat along the Mexican border.
Any other problems you would like for me to solve today?
I have always felt that I am a very informed citizen. However, I am always hesitant to talk politics. I had many ideas and thoughts as to who I would vote for. I was sure that Mitt Romney was not the candidate that would receive my vote. Then I read a speech that helped me make up my mind. It is quite lengthy, but it answered a lot of my questions. Here is a link to the speech.
http://www.mittromney.com/News/Speeches/CPAC
If Hilary wins I am moving to Mexico....
:)
John and I read the coments and really enjoyed it. He then wrote a lenghty statement but chose not to post it. He decided that he felt better by stating his peace and that was good enough. We are greatful for the comments and thanks April on the solutions to immigration they are great.
I love discussions like these and I actually read what everyone had to say. Both Nick and I have been talking a lot about this and I too have not completely decided 100% who i am voting for. I do however agree with Erin and going to Mexico if Clinton wins. Considering there is so much land there since they are all here! :0 Anyway... this will be an interesting couple of months and I just pray that people will pray too before that go to the polls. We need a little divine intervention this year!!
Thanks Jackie Lee for the interesting topic. It is always good to stir up the brain a little bit after a day full of baths, meals, cleaing, changing diapers, and cooking! :)
Mitt Romney! Who else??? Andrew and I listened to a book on tape called "A Mormon in the White House?". (I think we still have a copy on CD if anyone is interested.) It is written by a political journalist from DC not at all affiliated with the LDS Church. I think I have been convinced ever since then. One thing I have learned for sure about politics is that you need to look beyond the platform that the canidate is running on and take a look at what they have been doing the rest of their lives and what they REALLY stand for. Take a look at Romney's career and what he has spent his whole professional life doing... As far as I'm concerned Mitt Romney is the most qualified to be president.
I think the issues go beyond what is being talked about or at least what one candidate is willing to put on the line. For those who see what the "last days" really mean as outlined in the Bible,B of M and D&C, you realize what issues become most important. It will take someone who is willing to look at the way America was intended to be and will fight for what the constitution stands for. We need a president who will protect America and I am not talking about war. Just because Romney is Mormon, does not qualify him to get the Mormon's vote. I am like you...study and pray about who will best serve this country. Great blog post!
Post a Comment