I let myself be offended today, twice. Two totally separate situations. I started to go off to Pops complaining about both situations. Then I remembered my goal about not complaining so I stopped myself. I also remembered a talk given I believe in general conference about being offended. Being offended was my choice.
A. The persons whom offended me, I'm sure, didn't mean to. I would really hope no one is that low that when they say or do something their intention is to offend another. I just took it that way.
B. We are all entitled to our own opinions and our own way of seeing the world. Just because one might see the world one way doesn't make it right for everyone else to see it that way. If they choose to see a situation that way that's their choice. I can either ignore it, complain about it, make drama out of it, walk away from it or forgive and forget. It's my choice.
I'm willing to forgive and forget.
Pops taught me a great lesson recently about creating drama where there really is no need for drama to begin with. I don't think he knew he was teaching me at the time. It made me wonder how many times I've read between the lines and created drama when there were no lines to read between. I must remember this lesson in the future. Again, being offended is a choice and a complete waist of time and energy.
On another note in Sarah's book there is a quote by Aristotle:
"Criticism is something we can avoid by saying nothing, doing nothing, being nothing."
I think now I'm ok being criticized.
On a completely separate note again,
This is Crate having to be all bandaged up from his cradle cap creating open wounds on his head. It's finally looking like it's clearing up!
1 comment:
Good idea to take the higher road and forgive. Hopefully whatever was said they did not mean to offended... but there are those few who are so unhappy with themselves they look for situations to just be mean. In those cases stay as far away as possible!
* On a side note I think I have an idea of who "they" are... all I can say is I'm sorry you repeatedly have to deal with their ongoing dysfunction. Love Ya!!
Post a Comment