Thursday, January 28, 2010

I went to enrichment tonight...I know it's not called that anymore but I can't think of the new name right now...and came home to a completely mopped floor. My jaw dropped when I saw the entire tile floor throughout the house vacuumed and mopped by pops. The amazing part was that I didn't even ask him to do it before I left and I wasn't even mad at him so it's not like he was trying to make up for something. This is like the biggest, kindest act of service he can give me. Because I HATE mopping the floor. I think it has something to do with the amount of tile we have.

I woke up and when I turned on the TV to start my workout the channel that it was on was one of those Evangelical channels. I don't know what's it's called other than a church channel. Anyhow, I was getting my water bottle and I listened to what this female preacher was saying and I found her advice very insightful. She talked about a man who loved God all his life. Then one day he found out is little son had cancer and started praying for God to take away the cancer and save his son. His son ended up dying and he began to question God's existence. She went on to share her own personal story of being molested for 15 years by her father. During these 15 years she would pray and plea with God to have him stop it even to the point she was praying that her father would die. He didn't. She then explained that as an adult she's learned God does have the power to take away our trials but sometimes he doesn't and it's not because he doesn't love us. Sometimes he doesn't take them away but what he does do is give us the strength to endure them. It made me ponder for a brief moment on my own trials. I need to realize that he gives them to me for my own personal growth and I shouldn't necessarily pray for them to be removed but for the strength to endure and to be worthy of the Holy Ghost to give comfort while enduring them. I thought this lady was insightful and made me even more grateful to be apart of a religion that has the fullness of the gospel, the power of the priesthood and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Also, it reminded me to learn to accept and even appreciate the trials that come because hopefully in the end they humble me and bring me closer to my Savior. After watching her for a brief 5 minutes it made me want to share the gospel with my neighbors...just like this lady, I know they are learning good things at their churches but they are missing out on the total gospel that has been restored to the earth.

Today was Boss's "fake birthday" as he called it. We had a little party with friends for him. I can't believe he'll be four tomorrow. Since he was turning four he got to invite four friends over for his party. We made a list of everyone he knows then he went through and decided which four to invite. He kept asking if he could have "just 20 friends, that's all" I thought four was a good, manageable number. I think they had fun. It was during the middle of school so Buster was sure excited to get out early and come home to help celebrate. He wanted and army man birthday so that was the theme this year. We even had army man music playing in the background and decorated the house with red, white and blue streamers...GO AMERICA! He wanted a chocolate cake and helped decorate it with sprinkles and we put army men on top with the candles. No stress for me and fun for Boss. It was a success.

Now it's bed time.

3 comments:

Brandon said...

C'mon, its not like I only do chores when I'm in trouble. Nor is this the first time helping out without being asked. I'll have you know its been on my list of things to do this week and tonight happened to be your lucky night! :)

Jane said...

Brandon no need to be defensive we all know your wonderful.

On a different note thanks for the reminder that our trials do humble us and bring us closer to our Savior. Also, if you look at what some other people have to go through it makes you very grateful for your own trials.

Jackie Lee said...

Brandon...since when did you read the blog? Does this mean I have to sensor what I write