Friday, April 9, 2010

Oh, to be four and six years old again and be carried in from the car and placed in bed for a good nights slumber with not a care in the world.

Tonight the family headed up to Marmies house to visit with Uncle Larry and Aunt Linda while they are in town for a few days. The memories I have of them are nothing but good. Staying at their house each summer in Alpine, Utah...thinking it was a castle and loving playing in the back yard, jumping on the trampoline, seeing the deer on the back lawn in the mornings, playing in the creek that ran in front of the house, listening to piano lessons being taught at the crack of dawn, playing in the pasture in the front, feeding carrots to the horses and thinking Tiffany and Debbie were so lucky because they had their own sinks and mirrors inside their bedrooms, the peach carpet in the piano room...I always thought that's what a room in the Temple must look like and being terrified to walk on that perfect carpet. Most of all I remember many birthdays spent eating dinner and cake and ice cream on the deck outside because my birthday always seemed to come while we were in Utah. Never as a kid did I understand what it was like to have tons of people stay at your house, but now that I have a home of my own I will always be grateful to Aunt Linda for sharing her home with so many people for long periods of time and for so many years. It's not easy having someone stay with you for a few days or few weeks or even in their case for a few years. They seemed to always have not just one person but an entire family. They were saints for sharing the blessing of an accommodating home with so many people. I hope their home in heaven is just as nice as the one in Alpine.

Pops and I left the boys at Marmies house for a couple of hours and headed to the mall. I told him it was the ideal date for both of us because we were going to a place I like, to look at something he liked. We went to check out the new Apple ipad. Electronics in the mall...a perfect combo. I can only seem to drag him to the mall once a year, if I'm lucky, the Apple store might have just changed my life. Then to top it off I took a pair of pants to return so to make it an even more prefect date I told him we made money on the date...I got cash back from returning the pants and we didn't buy anything so we walked out of there with more money than we came with. He said "sure, you can look at it like that if you want. Although it's kind of a twisted way of thinking." I thought it was a smart way of thinking. Whatever. I don't think I'm sold on the ipad just yet, I guess because it wouldn't make my life anymore convenient at this time. I'm waiting for Pops to tell me all the reasons why he should get one...then he'll pull the line..."it's for the business and the business will pay for it." That's when I say to him, "Keep dreaming and pray those dreams come true."

It's great being married and hanging out together and feeling comfortable with each other and best of all laughing and joking around together. Not that it happens every day but I'm thankful to be married.

No comments: