Friday, December 24, 2010

The Eve of the big day.

Santa has come...stockings are hung and the boys are fast asleep. They were pretty excited for tomorrow.

I know people have lots of opinions about Christmas and Santa and the way it should be celebrated. We have our opinions too...I'm always excited for this time of year and try to keep a good balance between keeping the spirit of Christmas in the home and letting the excitement of Santa happen also.

Tonight in between our two family Christmas parties just our little family did our traditional service project and helped out with Christmas for another family. They were surprised and thrilled and found much joy in our giving. However I think we found more joy from the little adventure. And Buster and Boss were actually really good helpers at wrapping the gifts. I hope by doing this each year the boys remember the good feelings they get from giving and continue on the tradition with their own families. Some years were able to provide a bit more than other years but it always ends up that we get much more out of it than we give.

Our other tradition each Christmas eve is that they get to open one present which they are quickly catching on to...it's always pajamas. They were pretty excited with their pajamas this year. Thankfully. Then they get to make a bed in our room on the floor and we all sleep in one room. Tomorrow when they wake up we'll stay in our room, read Luke 2, have a family prayer and then head out to the Christmas tree together to see what Santa brought. It's always so exciting to see their faces. I'm glad Santa comes to our house...I think it's a part of childhood. It's memories. It's an exciting day.

I do have to say when you think about Santa and Christ you'll find they desire the same thing...that is to give. To think of others, not themselves. I like the fact that they go hand in hand. They offer us gifts, some tangible and some spiritual and expect nothing in return. They offer love, and a listening ear. They create miracles and bring hope. They brighten up the world around us. And all we're asked to do is believe. I believe in Christ. And I believe in the idea of Santa.

What a wonderful time of year.

Merry Christmas!