Monday, May 31, 2010

No wars please.

Happy Memorial Day!!! I have visions tonight of having a family home evening where we learn about our country, memorize the preamble to the constitution, learn about the wars that have been fought on home soil and away and learn about the hero's that have fought in those wars and died to keep our freedom. Then we make a cake and on top use blueberries and strawberries to decorate it like an American Flag then we hold hands and sing, "God Bless America"...OK, maybe not the holding hands part but you get the picture. My only concern is that once the word "war" is mentioned the learning will stop right then and we'll have to reenact a "war" with our fake swords and guns, then the boys will get wild and crazy, the spirit will be gone, phrases like "surrender or die" & "retreat! retreat!" will be heard the rest of the night, I'll be the only one making the cake, a huge mess will arise in the kitchen, I'll be the only one cleaning it up, Pops will have "just a few work calls to make" (famous last words)it'll be time for bed and the war will still be going on, Crate will be crying to milk me, I'll get tired and loose my patience, then the paddle (A.K.A. wooden spoon) will make an appearance and we'll have have totally forgotten the reason why this all started was to have FHE to bring the spirit into the home. You get the picture? I'm thinking tonight for FHE we'll review Article of Faith #12: We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.Talk about how America came about and call it a night. No need to mention the word "war" or "battle" or anything of that sorts.

Are pigs flying? I think they might be because today at our house the man of the house fixed the master bedroom ceiling fan. Folks, it took all of 30 minutes and has been broke for well...a long time...like 2+ years. He bought the part about 1.5 years ago and it has been sitting on our dresser ever since. I'm not sure if he's suffering from a fever or what but my beloved ceiling fan is now fanning again and I can't wait to sleep under it's dust covered blades tonight. The most amazing part is that I didn't even remind him to fix it...he did it all on his own!!! I think I'll count that as my anniversary present this year. It's the simple things in life that make me happy.

We headed over to Ashlee's house for a BBQ and swim with other friends. Red meat + a hot sun ='s a perfect afternoon. Thanks Ashlee!

Now on to FHE. Wish me luck.

No comments: