Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The computer

My thoughts on "the computer."

What an immense blessing this thing called the "computer" is. It can compute a lot of things. (That was a joke) It can connect you with the entire world in the blink of an eye. Information on anything is literally at your fingertips. Sometimes the information is correct and sometimes is a little skewed but any topic you want to search is right there waiting to give you an answer. The computer is what allowed Pops to work from home for 5 years, it's created millions of jobs, it's allowed more people than ever to receive an education, it's shared the gospel, it's given me recipes I would have never tried before, it's connected me to friends I would have lost contact with, it's stored all my thousands of photos of my sweet children, it allows me send a message to Pops when I know he can't talk on the phone, the list goes on and on and the blessings of a computer are amazing.

However, this massive blessings can be a horrible, horrible vice. A vice in many forms and I'm realizing how much of a vice it is for me. I have to say the computer is probably my biggest distraction in my life. Having the TV on...not a temptation, actually I could throw the TV out the window and be perfectly happy. However, the computer is like a beautiful curse. The possibilities are endless and the time wasted on it can be endless too. It can suck you in...I'll just check my email really quick, I'll just check this blog really quick, I'll just check Facebook really quick, I'll just check out this website really quick...so on and so forth. I've decided it's sometimes pathetic that websites in any form get priority attention to my personal prayers and scriptures. By 1pm today I hadn't read my scriptures or said my morning prayers but I had check my email and facebook and a few other things on the computer. So as of tonight my life is shifting. I am now putting a limit on my computer time (unless I'm working of course) to 20 minutes a day. This is going to be like going on a diet. I will allow myself to splurge on the days when my priorities have been taken care of and I need some down time, usually at night, but most days I will shut the lid to the vice and use it only when necessary. I'm not saying this is for everybody but it is what is needed for me so I can make sure I do not waist this precious time I have as a mother on unnecessary and sometimes unproductive screen time. I limit my children's screen time so why not limit my own? I think I might feel out of touch with the world but it won't kill me. My boys are growing up right before my eyes and the world is to scary of a place to let them grow up without my undivided attention. I don't like diets, and I know I'm not gonna like this but I know it's what is needed for the time being.

Wow...look what happens once again when your journal is out there for everyone to see. Please don't judge. :)

Moving on, Crate had is first real play time at the park. He loved climbing up the stairs and tried the slide once but it was still to hot and kind of burned his legs going down. Hello, it's a week into October and the plastic slide is still to hot? Yuck. Buster and Boss had fun playing though. They especially like the monkey bars right now. For the rest of the day the boys and I took it easy. They helped me fold laundry, pick up and vacuum the house for young women's tonight and then we sat down for a movie afternoon while Crate was asleep. That only lasted 45 minutes but it was fun watching part of Karate Kid with them. Needless to say our home has been one big Kung Fu Studio since seeing that movie. Is that how you spell Kung Fu?

I had a friend show up at my door with dinner this afternoon, a REALLY good dinner too. I was so thankful and it was such a great surprise. The best part was I hadn't started dinner for the day so it came in really handy. She said she had a bunch left over and wanted to share. How awesome is that?

I made brownies with applesauce for the YW tonight. They turned out pretty good. Since they are supposed to be much less fattening does that mean I can eat 8 instead of 5? Someone stop me please!